Customer service

Home Forum Community Specific USVI General Economy Customer service

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daren 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Daren
    Participant

I visited a bank on St Thomas, a fairly ‘popular’ bank, and the service was not good at all. I asked for advice on a particular service and the response of the teller was a bit rude and hostile. I asked in a different way to understand the process and her style was the same.

The VI thrives on tourism,and as such quality customer service should be high on the priority list of, not only it’s ordinary citizens, but also on the agendas of each business operator and their total staff.

I had a worse experience at Western Union on St Thomas when I went there to transact business. I had sent money to someone from St John and upon reaching St Thomas, I learned that because the receiver was 17, she could not collect the money and so I had to cancel it and resend it to and adult. I saw a line of about 25 persons when I got there, and two women at the counter, so I decided to ask for advice at the counter before joining the line. One of the ladies told me I had to join the line after I explained my problem. After waiting an hour and five minutes in the line, the same lay who earlier told me to join the line to fix my problem, told me that I had to call Western Union to fix that problem and that they had no working phone lines to call.

I told her that I waited in line all that time to hear something that cannot solve my issue. …she got loud and aggressive, with the support of the other lady; lamenting that they had no phone and it’s not their fault.

Clearly some service providers need to do some training about customer service. And what is rule number 1 about the customer?

Tarik McMillan
    Participant

Ive always wondered about customer service on island. I’ve only ever experienced poor customer service at the DMV, but the horror stories I hear from others are endless. I wonder if employers don’t offer incentives to their employees to display appropriate customer service. Also, the response by customers seems odd. Customers complain, but never really refuse to patronize a business due to the poor service. I think as customers we should hold employers accountable for their employees customer service and choose to spend our money accordingly.

Sydney Paul
    Participant

My worst customer service experiences have been at government agencies here, especially at the DMV. In the past two years that I’ve gone to register my car, I’ve tried different approaches to accommodating the employees to make their job easier and still receive pretty hostile or rude treatment. I was so frustrated after the experience this year, that I was ready and prepared to write a complaint, however, another employee who followed up with me was pleasant enough that I decided not to go through it. I should have filed the complaint because like Tarik said, we need to start holding these businesses accountable. We as consumers are encouraging the poor service if we do not put our foot down and demand even just decent service. I also agree with Tarik that there needs to be more incentives to reward good behavior or maybe more workshops or education on good customer service practices.

I listened to a TED Talk a few months ago that has stuck with me on how to operate a successful and efficient government, but really the message can resonate with any organization. If you think of the organization as a body, every employee has an integral role in keeping the body alive…down to every cell. They should understand how every level of a system, every small part, has to work efficiently and appropriately for a healthy organization. One bad apple shouldn’t spoil the bunch, but in many instances on the island when it comes to businesses…it can. So when employees understand the crucial role they have, then they understand they have value and their work has value. Ultimately, in theory, that that means they should perform their duties better.

However, in order for any of that to happen, the employees should feel invested and care about the organization and their job. There are many people here who have jobs just to have money to support their families. It might not even be something they enjoy doing, but it helps to put food on the table. We need to create a culture where people find purpose in their work and enjoy what they do.

swilliams
    Participant

The issue is accountability and one of the other forums talks about the lack of this in many employment situations, particularly the government. When individuals believe that they can continue to keep their jobs regardless of how they perform or handle customers this is the result. Yes it is important that individuals like what they do and care about the organization but they also need to appreciate that who they work for owes them nothing if they fail to perform . What’s important, though, is the need for standard and expectations that don’t change because of who you are, or who you know.

Millenial.340
    Participant

A business locally can be both successful and ethical if their business is customer service oriented, they know how to market their commitment to ethics, and can consistently produce high quality service. A general rule of business is that a happy customer is a repeat customer. If customers are treated with respect and consideration by a company that adheres to ethical standards and support the “customer experience” perspective they are more likely to support that business over a company with cheaper prices but bad service. No matter how good the ads are or catchy the jingles may be, a good marketing campaign can increase business revenue by unpredictable amounts once the service matches the selling points (high quality product = high quality service). The most effect campaigns are directed at the idea of providing for a better way of life, thus ethics is one of the best business pillars to capitalize on. Consistency is key! If a company can ensure that every time a product or service is sold that its quality is always high, customers are more likely to recommend that product or service and company success is then a cooperative effort between consumer and provider, leading to the product or service selling itself.

Daren
    Participant

V.I. Attorney General Claude Walker is refusing to release public documents in violation of the law.

Several top officials in Gov. Kenneth Mapp’s administration have been quietly receiving enormous pay raises, but Walker and other government officials are refusing to release public records that document those increases.

The above is in the news and this to me is an extension of the poor customer service alluded to in the primary post for this thread.

Government officials must appreciate that the citizens are indeed customers and they, the politicians at but transient servants; here today, but not necessarily here tomorrow.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

2107 Crystal Gade #7A
St. Thomas, VI 00802
+1-340-776-0677
Follow
We are a 501 (c) 3 Private Foundation
Donate
© 2018 Under The Markets. A project of Virgin Islands Capital Resources. Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions